Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sesame Treats

Cooking is an interesting art, and little makes a bigger difference for me than the space in which it takes place. In short, a familiar kitchen breeds more cooking. When I was home in New York, I had no problem going through the process of creating GF breads for the week or experimenting with nut purées. In my new place I'm slowly kindling a fondness for experimentation, but with work pressure these past few weeks I've been whipping up quick meals more often than not. Below is a sweet and healthy treat made with sesame seeds. These were inspired by the South Asian dessert of sesame balls which I served at my birthday party earlier this month. While tasty, they are made with glucose syrup and so not ideal for sugar sensitive (i.e. me).

Sweet Sesame Mini-Bars


















1 cup white sesame seeds
Stevia to taste (use a generous amount, I used 1 dropper of liquid Stevia)
cinnamon
nutmeg
1 egg white
1 T GF flour (I used chickpea)

  • Preheat the oven to 190 C/350 F.
  • Mix the seeds and spices (and powder Stevia if preferred.
  • Add the egg white and mix well.
  • Add the flour by teaspoon until the mixture binds.
  • Roll out panisse on baking paper until 1/4" thick. Use a knife to cut into small bars of any size you like.
  • Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until seeds begin to turn golden. Outer pieces will finish first; remove these as you go.



No comments:

Post a Comment