Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Brunch with Mom: Grain-Free Waffles

I got back to the States yesterday to spend the holidays with my family, and a very special 24 hours it's been. My nephew is taller, my building is being renovated, and my old skin feels familiar and foreign at the same time...an interesting state nonetheless! This morning was rare and terrific, a lovely brunch of waffles with my mom. Even though 10 years ago such a tradition would not have been grain or sugar free, it still provided the same feeling that some things never should change.

Grain Free Flax Waffles w/ Apple Compote






1 cup of ground flax meal
4 eggs
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup of almond milk
3 T cream cheese
1/2 t baking powder
6 packets of powdered Stevia (or 1/4 cup sweetener equivalent)
1 t cinnamon
1/4 cup water

  • In a large bowl mix the flax meal and baking powder.

  • In a small pan, melt butter and cream cheese over a low flame. In a small bowl, pour in mixter and whisk in eggs, and milk.

  • Add the cinnamon and Stevia, whisking well.

  • Add wet to dry, and add water to thin the batter (I added roughly a quarter cup).

  • Using a soup ladle, scoop about 2-3 T of the mixture into your waffle iron.

  • Serve with sugar free syrup or a fruit compote. I made a quick apple compote by chopping half an apple and reducing it in some water, cider vinegar, Stevia, and arrowroot.
Yum! Happy Thanksgiving/Frohe Festtage! ~c*x

No comments:

Post a Comment