Gluten & Yeast Free (Easily Vegan) Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups of brown rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/392 F.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Cut in butter or oil until mixture has a grainy texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and lemon juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. The dough will be very dense!
- Transfer dough to a loaf pan and pat flat. Because this recipe makes slightly more than a half loaf, I molded the dough to about 1/2 the pan as the bread will not rise much.
- Brush some egg white over the top of the dough so it doesn't brown too much. Also be sure to cut a criss cross into the top to ease slicing.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least two hours before slicing - the longer the better. Do use a sharp knife as the crust is quite thick.
3 t baking powder
1 t xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 packet of Stevia (or equivalent of 2 teaspoons sweetener)
1- 1.5 T butter (substitute with olive oil for vegan recipe)
1.5 cups of soy milk
dash of lemon juice
egg white (optional, omit for vegan recipe)
2 T flax seeds (optional)
I can't tell you how happy I was to make a pleasant tasting sandwich bread that was gluten free and yet not crumbly!! (A great recipe with whole wheat can be found here.) The bread freezes well, and I would refrigerate it and bring to room temperature for a cold sandwich or toast it in the oven. Tonight I had a couple of slices with chilled cucumber & avocado soup and it was a helpful liquid sopper (if I can invent words here). I am eager to have some almond butter toast tomorrow morning...and a proper turkey 'wich with homemade mayo for lunch ;)