But if you're avoiding empty carbs...what about the rice? Surely not necessary, but a classic pairing. My searching for a solution, and a creative use of one of the world's healthiest foods: cauliflower.
Turkey-Broccoli Stir Fry + Cauliflower Fried 'Rice'
1/4 lb turkey breast
3 T sesame oil
2 T soy sauce (GF if you find it)
1 teaspoon of arrowroot
1 egg, beaten
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 stalk of green onions
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup of broccoli, blanched* (I blanch raw broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes)
2 T pine nuts
- Chop the turkey breast into chunks and marinate in the arrowroot, 1 T of the sesame oil and 1 T of soy sauce while you make the rice and prep the vegetables.
- Put the cauliflower in a food processor and process very quickly until it resembles the consistency of rice (some then microwave the cauliflower, but I keep it raw). Chop the green onions, and cut the broccoli into florets.
- Heat a second T of sesame oil in a wok or deep frying pan and add the beaten egg, scrambling. Remove from pan when done and set aside.
- Now add the final T of oil. Stir-fry the cauliflower until it just begins to brown. This takes a little while, perhaps 10 minutes, but really adds to the dish! At this time, stir in the onions, broccoli, carrots (not pictured) and the remaining T of soy sauce and sautée for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan, mixing with the scrambled egg.
- Finally, add the meat and cook for a few minutes until done. Add the marinade and heat until it gets thicker. Remove from heat and mix with the veggies and scrambled egg.
- Serve the turkey and broccoli stir-fry over the cauliflower fried 'rice', and top with peanuts (I prefer pine nuts). Bon app!
This recipe should serve 2 with a generous amount of rice, though I've not measured out the amounts perfectly. I'll definitely be practicing this more, it's yummy. I've also been experimenting with the seasonings, and added ground ginger for a nice kick the second time around. Let me know what you come up with ~c* x